[b-hebrew] 1 Chronicles 21 - &+N revisited

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Aug 26 18:55:07 EDT 2005

Chris:

Intreguing idea.

As for the use of SWT, I have it listed in my dictionary as
"to tempt, instigate, rouse into action, its uses range from
God allowing a temptation to occur, which is supposed to be
resisted (e.g. Deuteronomy 13:7, see context) to a morally
neutral enticement or goad to do something (e.g. Joshua
15:18, Judges 1:14) and areas in between (e.g. 1 Kings
21:25). It is found only in Hiphil" The uses of this verb
does not rule out God allowing a temptation to occure that
David should have resisted. Furthermore, in David's previous
wars, he tended to muster the whole people without numbering
them. So there was no real reason for the census.

Karl W. Randolph.