[b-hebrew] spaces or no spaces

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Fri Aug 26 11:03:47 EDT 2005

>>I teach an Introduction to Biblical Studies course, and I've been trying to
>>find out what's the evidence for whether the earliest Hebrew Bible
>>manuscripts were written with or without spaces in between the words.  Can
>>you help?...
>>Susan Jeffers

There are spaces in most preserved manuscripts- and even in inscriptions
(like Tel Dan) there are spaces or "word dividers" which make it clear
when words stop and start.

Greek, on the other hand, has tons of examples of scripta continua.

Ernst Wurthwein's introduction to OT Textual Criticism gives ample
evidence and you will want to look there as well.

So far as using Wikipedia and other online sources, please beware that
not everything is accurate there.  It's called the world wide WEB
because you can easily be ensnared by many of the spiders out there just
looking for a juicy unsuspecting fly to eat.

Best

Jim

--
Jim West, ThD