[b-hebrew] XSD

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Aug 25 07:46:08 EDT 2005

On 25/08/2005 07:42, Karl Randolph wrote:

>The question is, which pattern did ancient Hebrew
>follow?
>
>It looks as if Yitzhak may have the answer: ancient
>Hebrew had very few compound lexemes, and they
>followed the German pattern of being
>morphologically combined.

I would reword this: as Yitzhak pointed out ancient Hebrew had very few
compound lexemes *which* followed the German pattern of being
morphologically combined. But it clearly had a large number of compound
lexemes which follow the Chinese model, which is also common in English.
I gave one example. I don't have time to list many more of the hundreds
which can be found for example in the (incomplete) SDBH dictionary, see
http://www.sdbh.org/ and look for examples like BEYT-'AB and MATTEH
'ABOT in the first sample entry 'AB. These two are not perhaps ideal
examples, but I am sure you can find better ones by a search - although
unfortunately there is not yet a published entry for NS' which,
according to one list I saw, is part of at least 20 or so (Chinese
pattern) compound lexemes.

>As for "filling the hand", that appears to refer to
>first during the consecration week for Aaron and
>his sons, twice they had their hands filled with
>objects to be sacrificed (Leviticus 8-9) and many
>of the sacrifices called for a handful of flour or
>grain to be added to the offering.

Yes, but ordination or consecration is semantically quite a different
matter from taking a handful of grain. Hebrew uses similar, but not
identical, phrases for both, but they are still clearly distinct
actions. For MILLE' YAD referring to a one off ordination or
consecration ceremony, see Exodus 28:41, 29:9,29,33,35, Leviticus 8:33,
16:32, 21:10, Numbers 3:3, Judges 17:5,12, 1 Kings 13:33, Ezekiel 43:26
(concerning the altar), 1 Chronicles 29:5 (meaning debatable), 2
Chronicles 13:9, 29:31 (again debatable). Almost none of these can
possibly refer to a literal filling of the hands.

You gave one example of the priests' hands being literally filled in
Leviticus 9. But what example do you have from Leviticus 8?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/