[b-hebrew] XSD

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 04:41:01 EDT 2005

Just an observation as a passive listener.

I come from a highly scientific background and as such have always been inclined to
base understanding on observations and proofs.
I haven't studied this particular word enough to have formulated an opinion on it
but one thing I will say is that Karl's words below are irrefiutable.
Having grown up with such a family Karl will have experienced firsthand the flaws and
limitations of 'experts'. 'Expertise' is often a description bestowed upon a minority
because of position or affluence.
e.g. My English students often used to tell me that I spoke 'bad English'. Why? Because
I used to say 'I'll' or 'I will' whereas their schooling had taught them that first person
singular demands 'I shall'. What was this based on? Grammars written hundreds of years ago by
elite minorities from Cambridge or Oxford. Who gives such a minority the right to represent
what is correct English? Having always heard 'I'll go' it seemed natural English to me and
to countless other English people I know. But according to a handful of affluent individuals
the rest of the English speaking world is apparently wrong. And just because its written in an
'authoritive book' they have manages to convince a large number of foreign English students that
their English is better than my own. What kind of a linguistic system is that?

Recourse to scholars usually indicates a lack of ability to support one's position from data
alone. And IMNSHO all discussion on this list should be based on data alone if it is to be
taken seriously.