[b-hebrew] XSD

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Aug 22 20:43:40 EDT 2005

Harold:

You are right that my "translation" was not exactly word
for word, rather it was more free, trying to have a
smoother reading in English. Therefore it is more of a
paraphrase, attempting to be true to the meaning.

Strictly speaking, the translation should have read,
"undeserved good favor of peoples is erroneous" in other
words missing the mark of justice which exults a nation
(see first clause context).

As far as accepting previous lexica, for most definitions I
have no problem. However, I found that in most languages, it
is rare for a lexeme to have more than one meaning (though
it is not uncommon for lexemes in one language to lack
equivelants in another). What finally took the cake for me
was when I looked up one lexeme (that was so many years ago
that I forgot which one it was) that was given five distinct
definitions in Gesenius, but it was used only four times in
Tanakh. That is ridiculous! No language has such undefined
terms! The exceptions are loan words that happen to have the
same form as a previous word in a language (meaning that we
are looking at two different roots), application of a lexeme
to a new situation than originally, and convergence where as
languages change, two lexemes change to having the same form.

The reasons I wrote my own lexicon are two fold: one was to
try to find the one meaning that a lexeme possesses, whether
broad or narrow, comparing not only its uses but contrasting
it to synonyms and antonyms, and secondly to understand
lexemes according to their actions. Yet I found that for
most terms, I do not have a significantly different
definition than provided in other lexica (I am not about to
change for change's sake, only where I can justify such a
change) and most of the changes are a matter of degree
rather than kind (i.e. a close, overlapping synonym).

(The reason I don't mention earlier translations is because
earlier lexica have done that for me already.)

How is that different than what any good, careful
lexicographer does?

I've noticed that when you see someone who has a PhD and
a reputation, that you seem to accept his words almost as
canon. Hence you go into kniptions trying to justify the
statements of the "experts" that you espouse. I question
everyone, including myself. Give me a good argument based
on the language, and I may change how I understand the
text: merely quoting "experts" aint goin te cut th'
butter.

Karl W. Randolph.