[b-hebrew] Questions about Hebrew Vocabulary Lists, Definitions, and Frequencies

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Mon Aug 22 18:22:30 EDT 2005

Hi there,

Take a look at this directory: www.lamie.net/hebrew

the directory contains text files each with a name 1s - 16s. The file 1s gives a frequency ordered list
of all the single words in the torah based on an electronic aleppo text. 2s gives a frequency ordered
list of combinations of two words 3s of three and so on. From a vocab point of view it is more useful
for language students to learn such recurrent patterns and to get a feel for the relationships between
words.
I was making tool similar to yours but with a slight difference. The vocab tool was to offer a number of
possible translations for words/phrases and give the student the opportunity to assign his own meaning.
The student could signal his knowledge of a word/phrase and the tool would build up a personalised
database of words/phrases that the student is comfortable with. Based on this active vocabulary the
engine would offer the student actual verses from the bible which contain only these words. As a
second level of difficulty the engine would offer the student authentic passages with a limites amount
of unknown vocabulary giving the student the chance to infer meanings from context and to work up his
linguistic instincts with biblical semantics.

I shouldn't worry about copying meanings as long as you don't copy and paste word for word. You can't
copyright meanings for words, otherwise it would be almost impossible for organisations to compile new dictionaries.

If you would like any help with the project let me know.