[b-hebrew] XSD

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Aug 22 11:36:30 EDT 2005

Dear Karl,

>In Leviticus 20:17 is the XSD connected with the incest or
>the punishment? If with the incest then yes, it refers to a
>negative, but if with the punishment, then it is undeserved
>good favor to banish them when they deserve death.
>
>In Proverbs 14:34 I understand as "Justice exults a nation,
>but undeserved good favor of peoples errs." The root meaning
>of X+) is to miss the mark, to err from which the theological
>meaning of sin is a derivative. (The New Testament use of
>hAMARTIA is a parallel to this use, a direct copy of Hebrew
>usage.) This is one of the cases where I think translating
>using the theological understanding errs.

Hh: The problem with this translation is that XSD
is a masculine noun and the form X+)T is also a
noun. But even if X+)T were viewed as some
strange verb form, it would have to be feminine
and so would not agree with the masculine
subject. Karl, you need to accept the findings of
regular lexicons on such basic topics where there
is widespread agreement. Peter is right that
there is a second meaning for XSD and your denial
of this fact drives you into strange
interpretations. Here is the HAL information on
the second meaning of XSD:

I h‡esed‰: I h‡sd‰: JArm. h‡isd‰a¦}, Syr.
h‡es/zda¦, CPArm. (only pl.) h‡sdyn, Mnd. h‡yzd‰}
(MdD 142a, Brockelmann Syr. Gramm §49); Arm. lw.
Wagner 105: -1. shame Lv 2017 Pr 1434; -2. abuse
Sir 4122 (Marg.) = Sir, h‡sd‰ym 1QM iii 6 (alt.
II). Ý

HH: The noun is related to a verb:

I h‡sd‰: MHb. pi., JArm. pa., JArm. qal: to be
ashamed, Sam. (Ben-H. 2:464) and Syr. CPArm. Mnd.
(MdD 151a) slander; Arb. h‡asada and Tigr. Wb.
74b h‡asda to envy; MHb. h‡sûd‰ cast suspicion
upon; ? Arm. lw. Wagner 105-6 :: II h‡sd‰, II
h‡esed‰, Schulthess Homonyme 31f (:: Nöldeke Neue
Beitr. 93).
		pi: impf. y§h‡ased‰k‰a¦: to bring
shame Pr 2510 Sir 142 (cj. h‡sd‰t×w Smend ::
Dahood, Greg. 43:71). Ý
	Der. I h‡esed‰.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard