[b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Aug 22 11:27:34 EDT 2005

On 22/08/2005 15:25, Heard, Christopher wrote:

>I would not call 11Q1 (Paleo-Leviticus) a "small fragment."

Indeed. According to
http://www.ibiblio.org/expo/deadsea.scrolls.exhibit/Library/levit.html:

> Inscribed in the scroll are parts of the final chapters (22-27) of
> Leviticus, the third book in the Pentateuch, ... This is the lowermost
> portion (approximately one-fifth of the original height) of the final
> six columns of the original manuscript. Eighteen small fragments also
> belong to this scroll. The additional fragments of this manuscript are
> from preceding chapters: Lev. 4, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 18-22.

But is it actually clear from the scroll that it ends at chapter 27, and
does not continue without a break into Numbers? While the distribution
of the small fragments suggests that it is of Leviticus only, it is
insufficient to prove that.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/