[b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 08:45:47 EDT 2005

On 8/22/05, Ken Penner wrote:

> Second, by far most of the Dead Sea Scrolls containing parts of the Torah
> attest only *one* of the five books per scroll. There are a few exceptions,
> where parts of two books come from the same scroll.

I was wondering how many of those attest only part of the book, say a set
of one or two chapters, or some other portion thereof.  In cases like this,
it would be wrong to assume that because it contained, say, chapters 23-
24 of Leviticus it is necessarily only a Leviticus scroll and not a
Torah scroll.
In cases where there is a pretty representative sample from all portions of
the Biblical book, even if its only fragments or a couple of verses from every
few chapters, I would be more convinced it was a single book scroll and
not a Torah scroll.  I was considering looking it up sometime in the library.

Yitzhak Sapir