[b-hebrew] Illustration of a "winged" Yahweh-Elohim (Iron Age II)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Aug 22 07:58:07 EDT 2005

On 22/08/2005 10:57, walter mattfeld wrote:

>A possible (?) image of a "winged" Yahweh-Elohim (Iron Age II) is available.
>cf.
>the below url if interested:
>
>http://www.bibleorigins.net/WingedYahwehElohim.html

This iconography largely related to worship of El by Canaanites,
repeatedly condemned in the Tanakh as idolaters. Any link to YHWH or
Elohim is highly speculative. I note the following which you quote
concerning the only image with any link to YHWH:

> the Hebrew inscription seems to have been added later on and is not
> clearly distinguishable, reading a highly doubtful yh[y]hw[s]lm
> (Uehlinger, 1993:275). Furthermore, the seal is unique in its
> iconography and thus should be used cautiously for far-reaching
> conclusions

As for Yehimilk of Byblos, what is the actual spelling of his name? The
inscriptions of Yehimilk and Shiftibaal at
http://www.proel.org/alfabetos/feniarca.html (about half way down) give
a clear spelling yod-het-mem-lamed-kaf, and the inscription of Elibaal
confirms a second letter het. If this is true, the second letter het
completely rules out any link to YHWH, and instead indicates a probable
meaning of "Long live the king!", an appropriate throne name. Walter, I
am surprised at you for making such an elementary mistake.

Yehawmilk is it seems a separate and much later character, of the
5th-4th centuries BCE. See http://www.bu.edu/anep/ANET.html for an
English translation of the text of the relevant stela, but unfortunately
not giving the Phoenician spelling. The only picture of this stela which
I can find is at your own site, Walter,
http://www.bibleorigins.net/asherimpillardjed.html, but unfortunately
you have cut off the actual inscription part. Are you able to tell us
the actual Phoenician spelling of this king's name?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/