[b-hebrew] Basic observations on WAYYIQTOL

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Aug 22 07:05:56 EDT 2005

On 21/08/2005 01:50, Read, James C wrote:

> We could do it with xml. If we parse the whole text of the tanakh and
> put each word in an xml
> tag with attributes or within an xml hierarchy which clearly show the
> forms of each word the
> software would be quite be simple.
>
> I could write the software for you. The only problem is xml'ing the
> entire tanakh.

Indeed the software is trivial. And adding markup to the enitre text is
also essentially trivial although time-consuming. The real problem is
the need to parse every word in the Tanakh, which is a very difficult
job, not least because there are many ambiguities such as the one we
have seen with RAC in Genesis 18:7.

Well, at least two groups have completed this kind of parsing.
Westminster Theological Seminary has completed a morphological parse,
see http://www.wts.edu/hebrew/whm.html, and its results are widely
available. A syntactical parse has been done at the Free University,
Amsterdam, but the website http://www.th.vu.nl/~wiweb/ giving details of
this seems to be down at present.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)