[b-hebrew] 1st century hebrew translation policy

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Sun Aug 21 07:24:41 EDT 2005

Although this thread has the potential to easily go off topic I just want to make clear before starting
that it is my sincere intention that this discussion be a linguistic one.

The canonical christian greek writings and the works of the church fathers contain many direct quotations
from the hebrew bible. I am trying to form a well layed out article which explores the translation policies
of the 1st century christians and their later counterparts, the church fathers. All help would be greatly
appreciated.

I want the article to have particular attention both to translation of grammatical forms and of semantics
and pragmatic factors. Although such a discussion would involve heavy usage of both Hebrew and Greek I feel
it has a rightful place in a Hebrew linguistic forum because such considerations form an important linguistic
link to a dead language.

To set the ball rolling I wanted to consider the translation ofverbs with particular attention to tenses used
to tranlslate the various hebrew verb forms.

Security System.