[b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Sat Aug 20 23:30:48 EDT 2005

Sujata, your reasoning in (b) is erroneous for this reason: people
don't always actually do everything that is within their
capabilities. Lack of capability can be evidence against something,
but capability is not evidence for it. Right now I have the
capability to set fire to my condominium and burn it down, but I am
not going to do it (it would prove most inconvenient). God could have
made human beings amphibious, but didn't. Capability does not prove
actuality, and it is a logical fallacy to default to "if it can be
done, somebody did it, unless it is proven that somebody didn't do
it," as your point (b) implies.

We do in fact have _hard evidence_ that the books of the Torah were
at least _sometimes_ written on individual scrolls in Hasmonean-Roman
times. That evidence is the manuscripts from the Dead Sea Scrolls,
for example, 11Q1 (Paleo-Leviticus). I apologize for not being more
precise but I am not sure when 11Q1 is dated as a physical production.

Chris

--
R. Christopher Heard
Assistant Professor of Religion