[b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sat Aug 20 20:04:51 EDT 2005

On 21/08/2005 00:21, Yigal Levin wrote:

>This may have already been mentioned, but all of the modern theories about
>the composition of the Pentateuch assume that large chunks of all four books
>(except Deuteronomy) were composed, redacted and edited by the various
>authors we now call J, E, P etc., and that D was included into this process
>at some time. ...

No, Yigal, not all modern theories hold that the Pentateuch was composed
in this very specific way. Quite apart from those who believe that it
was all, or almost all, written by Moses, there are those who accept a
variety of sources but do not accept the existence of "the various
authors we now call J, E, P etc.", and especially do not accept your
apparent assumption that each of these is one individual author.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/