[b-hebrew] Aaron & The Ark - Title

tladatsi at charter.net tladatsi at charter.net
Sat Aug 20 16:41:35 EDT 2005

Brian,

Thanks for comment.  The title idea is interesting except
that Aaron in almost never associated with the ark.  Of the
298 Aaron is mentioned in the OT, only twice is it a verse
with the word * ark * in it (which itself occurrs 230 after
Ex 2:5, before which the ark in question is either Noah's
of the one Moses rode on in the Nile). In Num 4:5 Aaron and
his sons are to take the vail off of the ark before the
camp moves.  In Let 16:2 Aaron is forbiden to come inside
the vail covering the ark after his sons are killed. In
both cases, no actual contact between Aaron and arc is
recorded.  Rather the verses describe comands, Aaron will
do this and not do that.

Before Shilon or Jerusalem, the arc was housed in the
tabernacle.  Aaron is associated with the tabernacle in 33
verse and with congragation 49 times but never actually
with the ark.

The ark is perhaps the holiest object between Genesis and
the 2nd Temple.  Aaron is of course the first high priest
and founder of the line of Priests in Jerusalem where the
ark was located from David on to the destruction of the 1st
Temple.  Yet Aaron and the ark seem to be in parallel,
separate worlds, never touching.  So I am not certain Aaron
could be title, except as some sort of * anti-ark * title.

The AHaRoN is forbidend to see the HaARoN.  I don't know.

Jack Tladatsi