[b-hebrew] nevi

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Sat Aug 20 16:17:18 EDT 2005

Hi Yitzhak,

that the isrealite society depended heavily on astronomical observations in order to measure their
times and seasons is undeniable. But why insist that this meant their society was superstitious
and believed in astrology? Are the two concepts so inseperable?

That the isrealites were disobedient is also undeniable. That they took on practices from the nations
yet still undeniable and so consequently it is reasonable to assume that a number of isrealites practiced
astrology. But does this mean that this was an acceptable practice? Hardly!

Now the idea that Abraham was somewhat of an astronomer is likely as Yah invites him to count the stars
if he were able. Living in tents in a land devoid of modernday streetlamps would have offered Abraham
plentiful occasions to observe many beautiful starlit nights especially when nature called in the middle
of the night. And understanding the stars may also have offered him benefits in offering a means to
understand which month he was in and therefore better understand how his great herds and following could
live of the land. Did the patriarch Abraham believe in astrology? Debatable, being such a close friend
of Yah you'd think Yah would have had plenty of opportunities to put him straight on these issues.

Did navi) originally mean astronomer? Well now that's worth discussing and I would be interested in
hearing what the testimonies from the cognate languages are of the root nb) if anyone knows.