[b-hebrew] Hebrew Verbs Request (from Rodney Duke)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Aug 18 13:42:47 EDT 2005

On 18/08/2005 18:02, Dave Washburn wrote:

>On Thursday 18 August 2005 00:57, George Athas wrote:
>

>>The following post is sent on behalf of Rodney Duke (dukerk at appstate.edu).

>... In
>any case, to answer the 3 questions:
>
>a) I do hold to the basic 4-component model, ...
>
>b) Best to read my paper in the 1994 Hebrew Studies for the full details, but
>briefly, the wayyiqtol is the simple declarative, ...  The waw is not just a
>prefixed waw, it's a prefixed WA. ...

I don't have my own fixed view of the Hebrew verb system, so I think the
best thing to say here is that my views are generally very similar to
Dave's, as summarised and snipped above. But I differ from him on
"strict separation of syntax and semantics" and on the assumption that
all uses of verb forms can be described in terms of formal rules, as
discussed in a recent thread.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/