[b-hebrew] Hebrew Verbs Request (from Rodney Duke)

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Thu Aug 18 12:27:35 EDT 2005

Hi there,

my 'linguistic' process is an instinctual one. It follows no strict rules or formalised methods which
can be found summarised in a scholarly work.
It basically consists of listening (or reading in the case of the tanakh). The assumption is that
there are no such thing as 'grammatical rules' but only 'usual behaviours & patterns'. Under this
philosophy 'exceptions' are not to be considered 'bad grammar' but the difference between having
an accademic knowledge of the language and really understanding the languages living spirit. Thus
the true meaning of any word, suffic, prefix or particle is more governed by its contextual usage
,while they can often have a primary meaning that is considered to be its normal meaning.

e.g.
The particle 'wa' has the basic meaning of 'and' and when affixed to wayyiqtols has the effect of
indicating a sequence. But to say that 'wa' always means 'and' and a 'wayyiqtol' always indicates
sequence is contrary both to the data and to mylinguistic instincts. The data and my instincts
show that 'wa' is often better translated as 'but/when/while' depending on the context. In the
same way that data also shows that wayyiqtols do not always indicate sequence.
Was sequence normal in spoken hebrew with wayyiqtols? We don't know! But we can say with certainty
that the corpus of the hebrew bible shows that this is the major usage. But what it is imperative
to understand from an 'instictually linguistic' point of view is that it is the *context* and not
the form which dictates this.

Similar arguments can be given with aspect etc.  of verbs but I think you get the point:

1) Forms can have a seemingly primary usage
2) The exceptions to the primary usage are what refine your understanding
3) It is the context and not the form that dictate the meaning