[b-hebrew] nevi

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Wed Aug 17 19:40:01 EDT 2005

The phrase "intended to exclude" in Peter's post below isn't
particularly helpful, in my opinion, because canonical labels aren't
usually keyed to what they _exclude_, but what they _include_. As a
reminder, there's a big debate still unresolved about the canonical
process that led to the Tanakh, and at what stage that process was
when the gospel writers put pen to parchment. My own view, based on
research that I haven't revisited in the last couple of years, is
that the Kethuvim was still in flux around the edges during this
period (a few books in question), but of course there's a lot of
reasoning and data behind that, which I don't really care to type
here at this point. ;-)

I guess my point is that "we can't be sure" is the most solid thing
we can say about the status of the Kethuvim in the early 1st century
CE and even a bit later. When some of the "later" (e.g., 3rd-4th
century CE) Christian "fathers" wanted to compile lists of Jewish
scripture, their presumably Jewish informants gave them varying
information. On the other hand I do think that references to "the Law
and the Prophets" already basically mean the same thing we mean by
Torah and Nevi'im, and already in the days of Ben Sirah.

Best wishes,

Chris

--
R. Christopher Heard