[b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Wed Aug 17 19:21:59 EDT 2005

_Modern_ torah scrolls are often one large scroll, but does anybody
here know when that format originated? (I'm asking you because I
don't know.) When is the earliest attested single scroll with the
entire Torah? If I remember correctly, the DSS Torah scrolls are by
separate books. There is probably a manufacturing threshold sometime
in history when scroll-making technology became good/robust enough to
support the entire Torah on a single scroll, but how far back does
that go?

TIA (תודה in advance),
Chris

--