[b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Aug 17 19:14:42 EDT 2005

On 17/08/2005 23:47, Shoshanna Walker wrote:

>... It is interesting to note that, as Rav Cohen
>points out, the Sadducees (a sect that believed in the literal
>interpretation of the written Torah and denied the existence of an
>oral tradition) were a powerful force in Israel only until the
>Hasmonean uprising which culminated in the Chanukah miracle (Megillat
>Ta'anit, Ch. 5). Once the Hasmoneans succeeded in uprooting Greek
>culture from the hearts of the Jewish people, the Sadducees also
>submitted to the halachic renderings of the Torah-true elders of the
>generation. The Greek influence on Torah analysis that caused the
>Sadducees to give credibility to the written word alone was done away
>with along with the Greek culture. The Oral Torah is compared in the
>Midrash to a light that illuminates the darkness:

This statement surprises me, because the New Testament among other
documents bears witness to the continuation of the Sadducees as a
powerful force in the 1st century CE. Indeed Acts 4:17 tells us that the
High Priest himself was one of the Sadducees. And Acts 23:8 tells us
that the Sadducees denied the resurrection, angels and spirits. How does
this tally with this picture of the Sadducees submitting themselves to
quite different teachings 200 years earlier?

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/