[b-hebrew] nevi

Heard, Christopher Christopher.Heard at pepperdine.edu
Wed Aug 17 19:16:03 EDT 2005

James,

Re: your question about "prophet," quoted below. This is not really a
semantic/lexical issue, but a matter of socio-theological roles.

Although it is a somewhat simplistic distinction, I often use this
distinction with my first-year college students. I don't much like
the term "forthtelling," since it is a word nobody ever really uses,
but the intended distinction is useful. In common parlance, at least
in American English, prophets are usually associated with
"foretelling" the future; when making this distinction with my
students, I prefer to use the phrases "predicting the future" or,
better, "announcing God's plans." The use of the term "forthtelling"
is intended to communicate the idea of ethical/moral/spiritual
teaching, so I prefer the phrases "proclaiming God's will" or,
better, "appealing for behavior" (usually behavioral change).

Neither of these senses really has much bearing on the designation of
Abraham as a "prophet" in Genesis 20, however. What is foregrounded
there is the _intercessory_ function of a prophet. Abraham functions
as a "prophet" in Genesis 20 by praying on behalf of Abimelech. I'm
sure there are a number of studies that address this intercessory
role, but one I recently read was Donald Widmer, _Moses, God, and the
Dynamics of Intercessory Prayer_. You can read a little more about
this book on my blog at http://www.heardworld.com/higgaion/2005/07/
moses-god-and-dynamics-of-intercessory.html if you wish. The main
thrust of the book is an exegesis of Moses' prayers in Exodus 32-34
and Numbers 13-14, but there is considerable attention given to the
intercessory function of biblical prophets, and plenty of
bibliography on that as well.

Best wishes,

Chris

--