[b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Wed Aug 17 18:47:28 EDT 2005

>Shoshanna,
>a) God did teach you, but you have forgotten!!

OK, I am being friendly, this is not a friendly (or accurate) statement

>b) It was Jewish elders that translated the Torah to
>Greek, so I dont see why the name couldnt be written
>in Greek at the time of writing down Oral Torah

In any case, it wasn't written as pronounced - as I have posted
twice.  "LeAlem" - remember??

Now see this, and read carefully:

http://www.shemayisrael.com/chanukah/more/chanukah.htm

"Five elders translated the Torah into Greek for King Ptolemy (a
successor to Alexander the Great). The day this was accomplished was
as unfortunate for Israel as the day that the Golden Calf was
worshipped, because it is impossible to present a truly adequate
translation of the Torah in any foreign language. On another
occasion, Ptolemy gathered together seventy-two elders and placed
them in seventy-two separate rooms, not informing any of them why he
was summoned. He approached each of them and said, "Write down the
Torah of your teacher Moses for me." Hashem arranged that the same
thoughts occurred to all of them and they made the same thirteen
modifications in their translations. [This translation is commonly
known as Targum Shiv'im, or the Septuagint.]
(Sofrim 1:7-8; Megillah 9a)

"The Tur (Orach Chayim 580; see also Shulchan Aruch, ad loc.),
quoting the opinion of the Halachot Gedolot, tells us that one should
observe a fast day on the eighth day of Tevet because it is the
anniversary of the day that Ptolemy commissioned his translation of
the Torah. On the day the translation commenced, adds the Tur, "A
three day period of darkness descended upon the world." This, Rav
Cohen suggests, is the "darkness" of the Greek exile.

"II. THE LIGHT OF THE ORAL TORAH

"It remains to be explained why the translation of the Torah should
cause global darkness. What was the great tragedy of translating the
Torah into another language, and why should it cause the world to
become dark? The tragedy, Rav Cohen explains, is implicit in the
words of Massechet Sofrim-"because the Torah could not be translated
adequately." Although the written text of the Torah can be translated
with reasonable accuracy into another language, all the nuances-the
double-entendres and the various implicit insinuations in the words
of the Torah-are lost in the process. Gematria (numerology),
acrostics and other word-based analyses are impossible to carry over
from one language to another. The entire body of the Oral Torah which
lies beneath the surface of the written text was thus severed-and
deleted-from the Torah. It is interesting to note that, as Rav Cohen
points out, the Sadducees (a sect that believed in the literal
interpretation of the written Torah and denied the existence of an
oral tradition) were a powerful force in Israel only until the
Hasmonean uprising which culminated in the Chanukah miracle (Megillat
Ta'anit, Ch. 5). Once the Hasmoneans succeeded in uprooting Greek
culture from the hearts of the Jewish people, the Sadducees also
submitted to the halachic renderings of the Torah-true elders of the
generation. The Greek influence on Torah analysis that caused the
Sadducees to give credibility to the written word alone was done away
with along with the Greek culture. The Oral Torah is compared in the
Midrash to a light that illuminates the darkness:

Best wishes,

Shoshanna