[b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Wed Aug 17 16:43:19 EDT 2005

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
> the Samaritan practice,

  the DSS, there are scrolls of
> Genesis-Exodus and Leviticus-Numbers, which again suggests that originally there
> was just one scroll, and then it was split into three (Genesis-Exodus,
> Leviticus-
> Numbers, Deuteronomy) and then each of the first two was further
> divided, all for
> apparently convenience reasons.

What strikes me as interesting here is that the possibility exists,
doesn't it, that practice amongst various strands of Judaism may have
collected scrolls differently?

Lets suppose that the folk at Qumran used one method, while the folks in
Jerusalem used another and the guys in Samaria still another.  Judaism
wasn't, and has never been, and is not now, a monolith.

Is this at least a possibility?  Or are we to assume that all Jews
everywhere did exactly the same thing?

Best

Jim

--
D. Jim West

Biblical Studies Resources -  http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
Biblical Theology Weblog -  http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com

"Ob man glychwol den pregenden haben muß, so macht der doch das hertz
nit gleubig; der geist und wort gottes thund das"-- Huldrych Zwingli