[b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

Bearpecs at aol.com Bearpecs at aol.com
Wed Aug 17 15:55:29 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/17/2005 12:34:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
peterkirk at qaya.org writes:

I doubt  if there is any evidence old enough to tell us
whether the LXX names were  inventions of its translators, or of later
Greek commentators, or were  based on an alternative Hebrew naming tradition.

Two sets of names for the books of the Torah were used in ancient  times.
The current practice is to use the names which refer to the first  distinctive
word in the book: Bereishit, Shemot, Wayyiqra, Bamidbar,  Debarim.

There was, however, a second set of names which referred to the contents of
the book:  Ma`asei Bereishit [acts of at-the-beginning], Yetsi'at Mitsrayim
[going-out from Egypt], Torat Kohanim [code of priests], Pequdim [censuses],
Mishne Tora [repitition of tora].

I suspect we may never know whether the Greek names were meant to  translate
this second set of Hebrew names, or if they named the books  logically and
those names were the same as the Hebrew names.

Hayyim Obadyah
, MPA
New York, New  York 10027