[b-hebrew] nevi

George F Somsel gfsomsel at juno.com
Wed Aug 17 12:34:52 EDT 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:03:01 +0100 "Read, James C"
<K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk> writes:
> Reading through Genesis I noticed that the first occurence of the
> word we translate as prophet is
> found in reference to Abraham. This reminded me of my Hebrew
> lecturer at St. Andrews who argued
> (years ago) that the orignal meaning of prophet meant something
> similar to 'forth teller' rather
> than 'fore teller' and that his primary characteristic was that of
> speaking out rather than that
> of predicting the future.
>
> Any thoughts?

That is correct except that it's too cute by half.  I don't think most
people understand what that means.  They continue to speak of
predictions.  I would rather say that the prophet speaks the divine word
regarding something viewing it sub specie aeternitatis.

george
gfsomsel