[b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Wed Aug 17 12:21:03 EDT 2005

At 12:09 PM 8/17/2005, you wrote:

>I have always been led to believe that the torah (in its canonical
>form) was originally kept on 1
>scroll and considered as 1 book and not 5.
>The LXX has the allegedly first occurence of the now accepted 5
>books of the torah and the names are
>obviously of Greek origin. However, I notice that BHS also has the
>torah divided into 5 books, albeit
>with different names, and was wondering what evidence there is to
>suggest that the torah was originally
>without divisions (in its canonical form).

It would have been physically impossible to contain the entire Torah
on one scroll.  Impossible.  The thing would have been unusable.

>Are the LXX names of Greek origin only or are they attempts to
>translate common Jewish practise?

huh?

>Was the torah originally one scroll? What is the evidence?

no- and the evidence is the practicality of using such a long scroll
that it would have taken 5 healthy men to unroll it .

>What is the modern day Jewish practise? 1 scroll or 5?

1 per scroll.
cept the megilloth- 1 scroll
the minor prophets- 1 scroll

>Why did such a change come about? Just to deal with the size or... ?

with the invention of the codex.