[b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Wed Aug 17 12:09:17 EDT 2005

I have always been led to believe that the torah (in its canonical form) was originally kept on 1
scroll and considered as 1 book and not 5.
The LXX has the allegedly first occurence of the now accepted 5 books of the torah and the names are
obviously of Greek origin. However, I notice that BHS also has the torah divided into 5 books, albeit
with different names, and was wondering what evidence there is to suggest that the torah was originally
without divisions (in its canonical form).

Are the LXX names of Greek origin only or are they attempts to translate common Jewish practise?
Was the torah originally one scroll? What is the evidence?
What is the modern day Jewish practise? 1 scroll or 5?
Why did such a change come about? Just to deal with the size or... ?

Security System.