[b-hebrew] nevi

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Wed Aug 17 12:03:01 EDT 2005

Reading through Genesis I noticed that the first occurence of the word we translate as prophet is
found in reference to Abraham. This reminded me of my Hebrew lecturer at St. Andrews who argued
(years ago) that the orignal meaning of prophet meant something similar to 'forth teller' rather
than 'fore teller' and that his primary characteristic was that of speaking out rather than that
of predicting the future.

Any thoughts?

Security System.