[b-hebrew] 2Sam24:1 v. Gen18:1-3

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Aug 16 05:26:28 EDT 2005

On 16/08/2005 01:17, Dave Washburn wrote:

>>... Of course there are cases of whole
>>Bible books starting with WAYYIQTOL, but that may imply that, within an
>>editorial framework, they were intended to be sequential to the previous
>>book, as is surely intended with Leviticus (WAYYIQRA'...) and Numbers
>>(WAYDABBER...).
>>

>Nice try, but even the grammars that present this "standard" view don't reach
>that far. ...

Well, you can't get me by an appeal to the very authorities which you
have rejected. This one is not my idea, I understand that Nicacci has
written a paper proposing this kind of link between biblical books, and
so also has my friend Noah Lee:

(see http://www.sil.org/translation/JOTTIndx.htm)

>... As for books starting with one, I have yet to see an adequate
>explanation of Jonah 1:1.

Agreed. I think Lee suggests that Jonah is linked by the WAYYIQTOL to
Obadiah - although this would not be sequential as the last (and only)
main verb in Obadiah is the X-QATAL in v.1 (the rest is reported speech,
plus a subordinate clause in v.18). But the start of Jonah just might be
a case of "bad grammar".

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/