[b-hebrew] Basic observations on WAYYIQTOL

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Aug 15 17:58:14 EDT 2005

On 15/08/2005 18:14, Ken Penner wrote:

>Thanks for this, Peter. I have had to bow out of the discussion because it
>was too time-consuming.
>
>Could you offer some examples of the following:
>

>>WAYYIQTOL
>>following a stative or continuing action (verbless or YIQTOL) clause
>>refers to an event taking place while that state or
>>continuing action is continuing.

Well, we have Gen 18:1-2 which surely implies that Abraham was still
sitting down (participle) when he looked up (WAYYIQTOL). Then there is
Genesis 1:2-3 where presumably the Spirit (or whatever) was still
hovering (participle) over the waters when God spoke (WAYYIQTOL). And
Job 1:1-2 where we presume that Job was upright (verbless) and fearing
God (WEYIQTOL) at the time that his children were born (WAYYIQTOL);
again 1:5-6 where Job used to pray every day (YIQTOL) and still did so
when the angels presented themselves to God (WAYYIQTOL). 1 Samuel 1:7 is
hard to interpret, but it was while Peninnah was provoking her (YIQTOL)
that Hannah started to weep (WAYYIQTOL); in 1:9-10 it is while Eli is
sitting (participle) and Hannah's soul is bitter (verbless) that Hannah
prays (WAYYIQTOL).

I am not claiming that this has any specific semantic significance, just
that this is a regular structure in Hebrew (and in many languages, with
suitable equivalent verb forms) for moving from description of states or
habits into the main line of events. This is elementary discourse
analysis, the recognition of the shift in a discourse from description
to the main line.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/