[b-hebrew] 2Sam24:1 subjects

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Wed Aug 10 18:46:17 EDT 2005

Yes.  The clauses in question are as follows:

             וַיַּשְׁכִּ֣ימוּ בַבֹּ֔קֶר וְהִנֵּ֥ה כֻלָּ֖ם פְּגָרִ֥ים מֵתִֽים

The nearest antecedent for the plural subject is the Assyrians, but it's
fairly apparent that they didn't wake up since they were dead.  Truth be
told, there isn't a good candidate for the subject of וַיַּשְׁכִּ֣ימוּ in the
general vicinity of this verse.  So perhaps that qualifies as one of James'
passages with ambiguous subjects.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur