[b-hebrew] yhwh v. messengers

Steve Miller smille10 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 14 20:16:52 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk> Sent: Sunday, August 14,
2005 5:49 PM
> Another fine example which shows the tanakh's faint distinction between
> men, yah and his messengers is
> Genesis 32:24-30. We are told here that Jacob grapples all night with a
> 'man'. Are we to take this literally
> and understand that Jacob fought with a mortal man? Clearly not! Because
> the context makes it clear that
> this was just language which conveyed the point of view in that moment.
> Jacob' receives a blessing and we are told that his name is chaged to
> Israel (contender with God) yet we
> are told that he ocntended with a 'man'.
> In conclusion we are told that Jaco concludes that he had come face to
> face with The God. This is a fine
> example of how Yah's messengers take the form of men and are then referred
> to as if God himself when it
> is finally perceived that they are his messengers.

My understanding is that the Hebrew word "ish" translated here as man, does
not mean mortal man or human being, but a male person. It is used in the
Bible to refer to men, angels and Jehovah.

A son of Adam or just an adam is the word for a human being.

I also understand that "enosh" refers to mortal man, but I do not know how
that is proven from the Scriptures.
-Steve Miller
Detroit