[b-hebrew] 2Sam24:1 v. Gen18:1-3

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Sun Aug 14 17:32:38 EDT 2005

Peter wrote:
although plural in form, just like Elohim. But when referring to humans,
adonay is plural "my masters", whereas adoni is singular "my master".
This is quite regular: -i is the basic 1st person singular possessive
suffix, but when added to a plural which would otherwise by -im,
construct -ey, the suffixes contract together resulting in -ay.
END QUOTE

JCR: Yes!Ican see your point. However, the text clearly uses the tetragramatton here and it is clear that
Abram called the messengers YHWH and this pattern of subtituting messengers for yhwh and vice versa is
recurrent in the torah. Seeing as the text clearly adresses them as YHWH it seems pointless to argue that
Abram was adressing them as sirs.

Security System.