[b-hebrew] 2Sam24:1 v. Gen18:1-3

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Sat Aug 13 18:43:02 EDT 2005

I always thought that adonai meant my lord/master/sir in the singular.

Anyway, the point here is that earlier it was argued that the 'wa' prefix can only be
understood as a succession of events. However, as is clear from this example, that is not
always true. The first clause, 'Yah appears to Abram', is an introduction to the account
and the subsequent clauses expand on how that happened by backing up a bit and explaining the
story. i.e. this is not a strict sequence of events even though the second clause begins
with the 'wa' prefix.
In exactly the same way 2Sam24 starts with a scene setting statement that Yah got angry and
then backs up a little and explains how that happened.