[b-hebrew] What happened to Jesus' haftarah ?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Sat Aug 13 17:21:16 EDT 2005

Dear Yigal.

>   Thanks, that is very interesting indeed.  As
>to the question as to who opened Isaiah 61 for
>Jesus' reading in the synagogue, Luke 4:14, 17
>indicates that it was Jesus himself:
>
>   And then proceeded to interpret it as
>referring to himself, which almost got him
>thrown off a cliff.

HH: Actually, it wasn't interpretation of the
passage as regarding himself that got him into
trouble, although it did raise a question about
his identity given his humble background as a
carpenter's son:

Luke 4:22 ¶ All spoke well of him and were amazed
at the gracious words that came from his lips.
"Isn't this Joseph's son?" they asked.

HH: What got him into trouble was his
characterization of his hometown and nation as
sinful:

Luke 4:23 ¶ Jesus said to them,  "Surely you will
quote this proverb to me:  'Physician, heal
yourself! Do here in your hometown what we have
heard that you did in Capernaum.'"
Luke 4:24 ¶  "I tell you the truth," he
continued,  "no prophet is accepted in his
hometown.
Luke 4:25 I assure you that there were many
widows in Israel in Elijah's time, when the sky
was shut for three and a half years and there was
a severe famine throughout the land.
Luke 4:26 Yet Elijah was not sent to any of them,
but to a widow in Zarephath in the region of
Sidon.
Luke 4:27 And there were many in Israel with
leprosy in the time of Elisha the prophet, yet
not one of them was cleansed - only Naaman the
Syrian."
Luke 4:28 ¶ All the people in the synagogue were furious when they heard this.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard