[b-hebrew] Verbs, text-segmenting and clause-types

Bearpecs at aol.com Bearpecs at aol.com
Fri Aug 12 13:24:33 EDT 2005

Could someone tell me whether (a) I just totally missed this part of  the
discussion; (b) nobody has thought to bring these points into the  discussion; or
(c) these data are discredited and no one pays attention to them  anymore.

Dahood in the Anchor Bible Psalms (e.g. vol III, pp 420ff) cites  numerous
examples of QATAL followed by YIQTOL in parallel passages and both  referring to
the same timeframe (most often past, but sometimes present).   He cites
qtl-yqtl parallels as common in Ugaritic poetry.

To me, this might seem to support the argument that the prefixed and
suffixed forms are not clearly distinguished semantically for either tense or
aspect; but on the other hand the fact that this appears to be a fixed pattern  only
in poetry suggests the opposite: i.e. that only in this poetic convention
are they parallel and they do in fact carry semantic differences in general
usage.

Hayyim Obadyah
, MPA
New York, New  York 10027