[b-hebrew] when is a thread really closed?

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Fri Aug 12 07:39:10 EDT 2005

Dear Jim,

Give us a break!  We have day jobs.  This is volunteer work!

When the chairmen close a thread it is as simple as a request.  There is
no automatic and technological back-up to enforce the request.  We are
trusting that the members of the list will comply.

If members do not comply, then the chairmen can and will put the
offenders on a moderation setting.  In that setting, all the posts of
that individual will have to be approved by the chairmen before they are
forwarded to the list.  Needless to say, this is embarrassing for a list
member, slows down list traffic, and it is a lot more work for the
chairmen.  If necessary, the entire list can be put on a moderation
setting.  We chairmen have had to take this action a few times in the
past.  In such a case ALL list traffic is passed by the chairmen.  It
makes discussion very slow moving.  We want to avoid this step.  Of
course, if we meet with a recalcitrant member, the chairmen will remove
such a one from the list.

A lot of the work of the chairmen is done off-list, hidden from the eyes
of the entire list.  For instance, we have just recently informed,
off-list, some list members how close they are to being put on
moderation.  We do a lot of our work off-list to make every effort to be
considerate and respectful.

As the referee says on the football field, "Just play the game.  Let us
do the refereeing."

Shalom,
Bryan Rocine
b-hebrew co-chair