[b-hebrew] Attributes of YHWH

Gene Gardner g_gardner1234 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 19:46:55 EDT 2005

>From another thread:

“If Moses did not see the face of God, does that bear
on Torah's credibility?”

Shoshanna responded:

“You realize of course that G-d does not have a face

Or any human attributes”

In light of the above comments, I would like to
explore what the Hebrew text actually says in relation
to this verse:

Genesis 32 JPS 1917

31 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: 'for
I have seen God face to face, and my life is
preserved.'

Everett Fox's Five Books of Moses:

32 Yaakov called the name of the place: Peniel/ Face
of God, for: I have seen God, face to face, and my
life has been saved.