[b-hebrew] Evil & God

Awohili at aol.com Awohili at aol.com
Thu Aug 11 14:10:16 EDT 2005

Harold would seem to be correct on the meaning of RA( ("evil," etc.).
Hamillon Hamaasi (Hebrew Publishing Co. 1947) includes among its meaning of RA('
"adversity, misfortune."  And Matityahu Clark's _Etymological Dictionary of
Biblical Hebrew, Based on the Commentaries of Samson Raphael Hirsch_ (Feldheim,
1999) derives the word from a trilateral root meaning basically "break into
pieces," and including both (moral) evil and adversity.

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 08/11/2005 10:11:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
hholmyard at ont.com writes:

>I form  the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create
>disaster;  I, the Lord, do all these things.
>
>The word "disaster" inserted  by the NIV is so ambiguous that the
>uninformed reader would easily come  to the conclusion that it refers
>to such things as earthquakes and  hurricanes.  This skewed
>understanding created by the NIV  mistranslation effectively conceals
>Isaiah's original message.  As  mentioned above, the KJV (King James
>Version) does correctly translate  this verse and render the Hebrew
>word rah as "evil."

HH: The  fact is that RA( does includes such
things as earthquakes and hurricanes.  The word
RA( encompasses the curses of the law, and many
of the curses  were such things as climate
conditions: