[b-hebrew] Evil, God, Satan, & Enoch

Pawel pawel at kul.stalwol.pl
Thu Aug 11 11:40:46 EDT 2005

Dnia 11-08-2005, czw o godzinie 17:49 +0300, Yitzhak Sapir napisał(a):

> Even if you accept the idea that Henoch contained said references
> (see Rolf's comments), it is wrong to use it in this context to say
> that the idea is Jewish.  In case Henoch did originally contain an
> said references, it might be said that various sects of Jews in
> the Second Temple period accepted the idea.  However, Judaism
> as it has developed in Pharisaic and Rabbinic Judaism did not, so
> all the book of Henoch tells you is that the idea is not "Jewish" but
> may have been an idea that was accepted by certain sects during
> the late Second Temple period that no longer exist.  However, in
> light of Rolf's comments even this is probably too much to say.  In
> any case, the idea is not Jewish if you are referring to Rabbinic or
> Pharisaic Judaism.  If you want to claim it isn't Christian, that is
> up to you.

The question was: what is the origin of the idea? If you agree
that it was accepted by certain sects in the I century, you
don't mean to say the sects were Christian, do you? They were
Jewish and the origin of the idea is therefore Jewish, too.
The idea might have been abandoned later (if you claim it was,
that is up to you) in the Pharisaic and Rabbinic Judaism, which
does not change the fact that it came into being as part of
Jewish spirituality and was not a Christian invention.

--
Pawel Sajdek
<>< XPICTOC NIKA ><>