[b-hebrew] euphamism, was 2Sam24:1 subjects

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Thu Aug 11 11:03:10 EDT 2005

Dear George,

>The Ex passage makes no sense if it is not understood that it was Moses'
>privates which were touched.  I don't know offhand where you get the idea
>that angels were supposed to be sexless creatures since Enoch certainly
>portrays them as sexual.  I'm not Peter, however, so I won't argue the
>point with you until the cows come home.  Believe what you will since
>you're the one who will miss the significance of the text (and not merely
>  with respect to Ex 4.25).

HH: While I see how you could apply a euphemistic meaning to "feet"
and get a relevant idea, I have never read the text that way and have
found the text understandable. So do the major translations, which
handle the word as "feet." So your statement seems an exaggeration.
If Zipporah threw the foreskin at Moses' feet, it got to him. It was
because of him that the circumcision was necessary. The action seems
to carry a tone of rebuke.

HH: Moses should have circumcised his son but failed to do so.
Zipporah realized that Moses' near death was due to his failure to
circumcise the son, and perhaps Zipporah had been resisting Moses at
this point. So perhaps she yielded and carried out the circumcision,
or perhaps she just did it, without having resisted earlier. But her
words, "You are a bridegroom of blood," imply that circumcision was
something that she realized was a necessary consequence of her
marriage with Moses.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard