[b-hebrew] Evil, God, Satan, & Enoch

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Thu Aug 11 09:57:22 EDT 2005

Dear Jack,

 I have done much work on the book of Enoch, because I have translated it
from Ethiopic and into Norwegian. And I must say that some of your words
below are not entirely correct. The basic problem for those seeing the book
Enoch as an antecedent of some NT ideas, is its age. The book consists of
different parts, and some of these parts are written at different times, and
an exact dating is difficult.

The work of J. T. Milik (1976) "The Books of Enoch Aramaic Fragments of
Qumran Cave 4" shows that just some fragments of parts of the book are among
the DSS (a few have been  published after Milik`s book). Different scholars
have dated Qumran manuscripts differently, and the age of the Enoch
fragments is by no means certain.

I would say that any claim that NT ideas have its origin in the book of
Enoch are speculative, including the idea that the words of Jude 1:14, 15 is
a quote of enoch 1:9. The verb in the clause "he shall come" in Enoch 1:9 is
in Ethiopic expressed by perfect, and the verb in the clause "The Lord shall
come" in Jude 1:14 is expressed by Greek aorist. Thus, the perfective aspect
are in both cases used with future reference, and that is not the most
common use of the perfective aspect in either of the languages. This
suggests that that there is a clear relationship between Enoch 1:9 and Jude
1:14, 15.

However, Greek manuscripts of Enoch 1:9 with words that are similar to those
used in Jude 1:14, 15 are late, and no such manuscript is older than
manuscripts of the book of Jude. In the Qumran fragment of Enoch chapter 1
there are only 21 Aramaic letters in parts of three lines, so we cannot know
what the Aramaic text said. This means that we cannot exclude the
possibility that the Greek text of Enoch 1:9 is dependent on Jude 1:14,15
rather than vice versa. Another possibility is that both sources quote the
words of the same source, which is older than both. There are many examples
of such quotes both in the OT and the NT of sources that are not viewed as
holy Writ.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo