[b-hebrew] Evil & God

Brian Roberts formoria at carolina.rr.com
Thu Aug 11 07:37:27 EDT 2005

On Thursday, August 11, 2005, at 07:27  AM, Read, James C wrote:

> Yah is the creator of good and bad!
>
> But what does that mean?
>
> Does that mean that he purposefully created Satan with bad intentions?
> Does that mean that he purposefully created man to fall from perfection
> in the garden at Eden?
>
> Or does it simply mean that he is the definer of what is right and
> wrong?
> And that he earnestly wishes for us all to do what is right?

In my mind, it has to do with free will. In order to make an honest
choice of obedience (good), the possibility of disobedience (evil) must
exist. Therefore, creating evil was (pardon the pun) a necessary evil.
It levels the karmic playing field. Satan was simply a created being who
chose....poorly.

> DoesYah define what is wrong and then do it himself?
> Or does he give us a fine example of what is right? And hope that we
> follow it?
>

> The account of Job in no way gives the impression that Yah is the
> instigator of the trials,
> but rather the conceder and allower of such. By allowing the trials he
> was expressing his
> faith in his servant Job's ability to resist the temptation to curse
> his Father and this was
> an amazing and honourific expression of love.
> While Satan's goal was clearly for Job to fall in disfavour and to
> perish. Is it for no reason
> that his very name means adversary? The two could not be more distinct
> and opposite in
> their desires.
> Yah says 'Do this' because he wants us to live.
> Satan says 'Do that' because he wants us to die.

Job is clearly an allegory, not to be taken literally. It may have
happened, but it's hardly the point.