[b-hebrew] silent schewa v. vocal schewa

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Aug 10 19:48:23 EDT 2005

On 10/08/2005 23:12, Yigal Levin wrote:

>  ----- Original Message -----
>  From: Bearpecs at aol.com
>  To: leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
>  Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 10:33 PM
>  Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] silent schewa v. vocal schewa
>

>  In a message dated 8/10/2005 4:03:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il writes:
>    c. precceeds a long vowel
>
>  Don't you mean "follows" a long vowel?
>
>  Oops. Yes, you're right.

But I understand that this rule is controversial, that some consider
that a sheva following a long vowel may be silent. Thus for example the
sheva in K.FT:BFH "she wrote" may be silent, even though the first
qamats is a long "a" sound. But can anyone explain which is correct?

It seems strange to me that the Masoretes apparently used the same sign
for two different sounds. So I wonder if for them all shevas were more
or less silent, so there was no real distinction. I know this would lead
to some apparently difficult to pronounce word initial consonant
clusters, but then some languages e.g. Russian, Georgian allow a very
wide range of initial consonant clusters - and this may explain why
sheva is not placed under "gutturals", especially word initially, but is
replaced by a hataf vowel.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/