[b-hebrew] ANSWER TO JAMES READ Jewish tradition/meaning of yhwh

Vadim Cherny VadimCherny at mail.ru
Wed Aug 10 11:46:23 EDT 2005

> Exodus 3: 15  "This is my Name forever"

The author of Torah, unlike Faulkner, did not customarily refer to
antecedents few dozen words apart. It does not seem likely to me that shmi
refers to yhwh. I think, shmi rather relates to "God of Abraham, etc." And
such designation is meaningful - ancestral God.

Besides, Moses never told Hebrews the name he asked for. Thus, evidently, he
got no reply, and ehye asher ehye is idiomatic refusal to state the name.

Vadim Cherny