[b-hebrew] 2Sam24:1 subjects

Read, James C K0434995 at kingston.ac.uk
Wed Aug 10 08:24:05 EDT 2005

I was asked to find a good example of ambiguous agents. Exodus 4:24-26 seems to do the job nicely:

24  Now it came about on the road at the lodging place that Jehovah got to meet him and kept looking for a way to put him to death. 25  Finally Zip·po´rah took a flint and cut off her son’s foreskin and caused it to touch his feet and said: “It is because you are a bridegroom of blood to me.” 26  Consequently he let go of him. At that time she said: “A bridegroom of blood,” because of the circumcision.

v24 Who met who? Who tried to kill who?
v25 Whose feet did the piece of skin touch? Who is the bridegroom of blood?
v26 Who let go of who?

None of the above questions can be answered unequivocally without extensive use of context and a
touch of interpretation.

Love and Shalom
James Christian

Security System.