[b-hebrew] D Material in Exodus

Søren Holst sh at teol.ku.dk
Wed Aug 10 03:44:45 EDT 2005

Chris,

A certain amount of non-D material in Deuteronomy is uncontroversial, I think, but how about the other way around? As far as I can see, Friedman does not have any D material e.g. in Exodus.

Since posting the question on monday I've realized that already Noth ascribed a certain amount of deuteronomistic redaction to the finished Tetrateuch ("Überlieferungsgeschichte der Pentateuch"), and B Peckham in "The Composition of the Deuteronomistic History" goes further, but I can't for the life of me see what W. Johnstone's reasons are (in his "Old Testament Guides" volume on Exodus) for assuming that the revelation of the divine name in Ex 3 should be considered D.

Anyway, thanks for the input, this at least leaves me confused on a much higher level than before :-)

kol tuv
Soren