[b-hebrew] tenses; frequency

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Wed Aug 10 01:39:15 EDT 2005

Dear Peter

A very good example of my claim that when you start with four (presume
four), you end up
with four, is the study of W. Th van Peursen (2004) "The Verbal system of
the Hebrew Text of Ben Sira".  On p. 7 he writes:

In the French edition Joüon had already indicated the importance of viewing
the Hebrew conjugations together as a system. This means that 'the value of
a verbal form is brought out by its contrast with the other forms. In
Hebrew, as in any other language, verbal forms limit each other reciprocally'.
Once we have acknowledged that the conjugations, like any other element of
the language, are interrelated terms of a system, we should not search for
the meaning of, for example, the perfect, but ask ourselves what in a given
context where we find a perf. the meaning of the impf. or the ptcp. would
be. (Italics his.)

The words above close the case: There are four conjugations! A view which in
principle is similar is seen in the discourse analysis of Niccacci. He even
presumes there are five different conjugations (WEQATAL being an independent
conjugation). Further he claims that the combination of each of the five
conjugations and the word order of a clause signals a particular meaning.
Thus, the interpretation of the verbs in the clauses is basically based on
theory, and that is the reason why I speak of circularity in connection with
this method.  And again, the case is closed: classical Hebrew has five
conjugations!

When I started my studies of Hebrew I already had a background in the
natural sciences, and I was well versed in the principles of the philosophy
of science. Therefore, I did not just accept what my professors told me, but
I asked questions. Very soon I realized that the grammars were not able to
account for all the peculiarities of the Hebrew text, and I continued to ask
questions. Particularly was I sceptical to the claim that an element which
seemed to be the conjunction WAW could turn the meaning of a verb form to
the very opposite, because a parallel to this is lacking in any other
language, including the Semitic ones.

The mentioned scepticism was one reason why I started the work with the
dissertation, and the working hypothesis was that the traditional view is
wrong. However, to have a working hypothesis does not close the case. To the
contrary, a working hypothesis should be modified or even changed on the
basis of data. My study has been and is strongly data-driven, because the
basic part of it is the analysis of "all" the verbs of classical Hebrew as
to their temporal reference and modality, and to a great extent as to their
syntactical role (which forms occur before and after ech vereb, word order
etc). The greatest part of the ten years used for the study was devoted to
the mentioned verb analysis, which naturally is very time consuming. When I
started, I did not know the final result. But my conclusion today is that
the data strongly argue in favor of two conjugations.

Any researcher will be influenced by his or her beliefs, philosophy, and
biases,  A balanced scholar tries to curtail these as much as possible, but
objective research is non-existent. However, to be sceptical to traditional
explanations and to use a working hypothesis indicating that they probably
are wrong does not close the case in favor of two conjugations. This is so
because the existence of just two conjugations are not used as an axiom.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli

University of Oslo