[b-hebrew] ANSWER TO JAMES READ Jewish tradition/meaning of yhwh

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Mon Aug 8 17:38:20 EDT 2005

That would be as I said, that Divine Names refer to different aspects of G-d

It doesn't contradict what I said, that Jewish tradition does not
seek, as this list does, to ascribe MEANINGS to the Name.

OK, like Shoshanna, my name, MEANS something

Not the Shem HaMeforash.

There is no DEFINITION, nor does Jewish tradition seek to find one.

Shoshanna

> What does Jewish tradition have to say about the meaning of the divine
name?

> It doesn't.  It doesn't seek a meaning, because it is G-d's Name.
>
> It, as other names, are used in the Torah, to let us know which
> aspect of G-d is at play.
>
> Only the Kabbalists analyze this NAME, to derive that each letter
> stands for one of the Sephirot (Chochma, Bina, Tiferet and Malchut,
> if I remember correctly), and that one can learn from this Name how
> they interrelate, ie; when and how Divine energy flows from G-d to us.
>
> Shoshanna

Not quite true, Shoshanna. Look at the introduction to almost any Sephardic
siddur (prayer book). They usually explain what aspect of the Divine should
be in one's mind (what "kavanah" one sould have), depeding on the dots
attached to the Name: master of the world, forgiving, merciful, all-knowing
etc.

Yigal